Monday, November 8, 2010

Date night!

This past Friday night, Mitch asked me on a date. I said, sure I'll go! What are we going to do? He paused for a second and then said the classic line... it's a surprise!... which really means I haven't planned anything yet. Instead of going out and spending thirty dollars on a nice dinner and dessert or movie, we decided to spend 38 dollars on homemade bread and jam. After not finding pectin, one of the main ingredients in jam, in a couple of stores, we almost gave up. Mitch hadn't had homemade jam in like a month and he was raised by an amazing mom who always had plenty of homemade jam so I could tell he was starting to wonder about the caliber of woman he had married. Finally, we decided to gamble and drive out to Whole Foods to see if we could find it there. We were in luck! We found the pectin and even more exciting, their raspberries were on sale and looked amazing.

We have made homemade bread only one other time together and it didn't turn out as yummy as we hoped because we kind of messed up. This time, we really tried not to mess it up, but we didn't let it raise as long as we should have so it is pretty dense, but still good.


 While the bread was baking, we started in on the jam. There's nothing like two big projects going at once. We almost ruined the jam but we pulled through. Our kitchen was a disaster, but ultimately, the bread and jam date night was way fun and worth every dollar spent!


It made a lot of jam and I guessed it would last us a year but Mitch said no way- maybe three months. If Mitch could live off of homemade jam and milk, he would be a happy boy. I'm so glad I have such a wonderful husband who spends as much time as he can with me, even though he's busy in medical school. I love him!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun.. and I love the new blog! And I have to agree to everything Mitch said in the previous post.. Amazing.
    Can't wait for you guys to come home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'm married to a bread and jam guy myself. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete