Wednesday, March 23, 2011

One Lucky Day

March 16th 2011 8:00 pm Wednesday night...Mitch taught English class to the Spanish speaking ward that we "teach together" on Wednesday nights. Really I just sit there and watch him teach, make some comments once in a while, and repeat everything he has the Spanish speakers say like I'm learning English too. It's so fun! I really do love the people and the sister missionaries that come.

We start out the class by learning some new vocabulary words that usually go along with the current season, holiday, time of year, or if we run out of those options, just something useful. So last week, we chose St. Patrick's Day words. Words like lucky, rainbow, pot of gold, leprechaun, four-leaf-clover, Irish, green, pinch, you know, all those really useful words that they're going to need in their everyday conversation. ha ha. I was surprised and sad to learn that not many of them knew much about St. Patrick's Day. It was always a fun holiday for me growing up. Mitch told the class about some traditions like if you catch a leprechaun on St. Patrick's Day, you will have good luck and he will hopefully show you to his pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, and if you don't wear green, you will get pinched. The class was pretty wierded out and I realized that it was kind of a different holiday. That's what's so fun about it! You turn food green and you hide a pot of gold and you pinch people. I was determined to not let St. Patrick's Day go by without being noticed in our house so we had some green crepes for breakfast. Later that day...

March 17, 2011 3:00 pm Thursday afternoon, Mitch came home and found a clue on the door that led to a treasure! We had to go search for it. Mitch took forever to find it and he says it's because I wrote a bad clue, but really he just wasn't searching hard enough.


                                                I guess it was hidden pretty well...

                                We were so lucky we found it...after I gave Mitch some hints.

Now that I'm looking at it, our pot of gold looks pretty small. We must be in medical school. Happy St. Patrick's Day!  

2 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! At least you found a pot of gold this year. haha I completely forgot it was St. Patrick's Day until the day was practically over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is that!? I forget how much fun St. Patrick's Day can be... thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete